Mission StatementThe Grant County Sports Hall of Fame, Inc. was established in July 2008 to honor Grant County's outstanding athletes, coaches, officials, media, administrators, teams, and others who have made significant contributions and brought honor to Grant County through sports.
The History of the YMCA BuildingThe Grant County Sports Hall of Fame is located in the Star Financial Grant County YMCA Building located at 123 Sutter Way in Marion, Indiana. The building is the former home of the Memorial Coliseum and is the site of many Grant County sports memories.
Construction of the building began in 1927, and on January 10, 1928 was formally dedicated to all American War Heroes. After this dedication, it became known as the Memorial Coliseum.
From 1928 through 1970 the Coliseum served as the home to the Marion High School Basketball team, the Marion Giants. During this time period, it played host to the Grant County Basketball Tournament, as well as the IHSAA Sectional and Regional Tournaments. Additionally, the Memorial Coliseum served as the site of the World Renowned Marion Easter Pageant, from its very first performance in 1937, up until recent years.
A few years ago, the building was set to be torn down. A group of civic-minded citizens stepped in to stop the destruction of the Coliseum, raised the funds to renovate and restore it to its original form, and have since turned it into the current home of the Grant County YMCA.
Board of DirectorsDee Ballinger